Saturday, June 2, 2007

School's out for winter


Yes, I'm still alive after surviving the last week of classes. The end-of-the-semestester push is just as hectic as it is at Penn State, and no, I'm still not used to it. Regardless, I'm feeling very accomplished and ready to take on my three final exams I will have in the next few weeks.
The weather has been getting cooler, although I still wear flip-flops to class everyday and smell freshly-cut grass on the weekends. This is winter in New Zealand! You have to love a town that has year-round farmer's markets. The wind can get quite aggressive, especially on the mountain tops, where campus is located. The walk to class is a daily battle with wind and gravity, which is great training for my weekend tramps.
Tomorrow I leave for a camping trip at Tongariro National Park, where a few friends and I will take on the Tongariro Crossing, a challenging 18km trail through volcanoes (including Mount Doom). It is one of New Zealand's Great Walks. This will be my last trip until my final exams are over on June 21st. The following day, my wonderful Jason is arriving in Wellington to spend three weeks traveling around and then bring me back home. So many things to look forward to!
Hope everyone is well! Love and miss you!
pictured: view of the harbor from campus; willis street farmers market; night on the beach

No comments: