Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Another Road Trip


Another weekend, another rental car, and a completely different side of New Zealand. This time around, a few friends and I opted to escape the urban jungle of Wellington and explore the thermal landscapes of the central North. The deserts and volcanoes of the North Island are a side of the country that I hadn't experienced yet, and a day's drive put us on a completely different planet. This place keeps amazing me everytime I step out the door.
The first night we stayed in jail. Well.. it was a backpacker that used to be a prison. It was a disturbing experience because since the place had only recently been converted, there were still remnants of prisoners past. There was even a graveyard where people that were hung were burried standing up (so they couldn't rest in peace). It was fun, and we had a good time exploring the grounds and giving each other the heebie-jeebies. Napier is always a fun town with beautiful weather, so in the morning we took a walk on the beach to relax. And then we hit the vinyards.
The area around Napier is beautiful wine country, so we visited a couple wineries on our way to up the coast to Wairoa. I met the most beautiful dog named Flynn, a german short-haired pointer, who I am in love with. We made it to Lake Waikaremoana by dark, hoping to find a place to sleep upon our arrival. The lake is sourrounded by National Park and conservation areas. It is one of the most remote places in the North Island, and luckily we found a cabin to stay in for the night that was cow pasture adjacent. Needless to say, but we were up with the morning "moo-ing" and hit the trails shortly after sunrise. The lake was beautifully clear and clean enough to drink. So we did.
The only road that connects the lake with outside civilization is a small dirt road that snakes through mountains and bush for hours. And of course, we got a flat tire. Dan came through and threw on the spare before any of us could figure out where we were on the map, and we were back on our way.
Rotorua is the hot-spot for thermal activity (pun intended). Just driving along the road we could see steam seeping out of the ground. We stopped in Waimangu to take a closer look at some thermal valleys and lakes. I have never in my life seen anything like it! You'll just have to take a look at the pictures, and I can't even to begin to explain the wild geology going on underneath the boiling lakes and steaming mountains. The entire stretch of road from Rotorua to Lake Taupo and through the Tongariro National Park felt like we were on Mars. Such a diverse country! We drove along the west coast to make it home to Wellington safe and sound; another weekend enjoyed to the fullest extent.
Back at school, things are moving quickly. The semester's end is rapidly approaching and I have a lot to keep me busy. Right now, I am working on three big assignments. 1. A lab report on wasp and terresterial invertebrate competition for honeydew in the forests at Nelson Lakes National Park; 2. A lab report on spider web distribution in different types of bush; and 3. An essay on how globalization impacts third world environments. I've got a lot on my hands, but I'm really enjoying all of my classes. The trimester ends in two weeks, and the I wil have three final exams over a span of three weeks. But it's not over yet... still more to come! And Happy Mothers Day to all the moms that read this! Peace out


No comments: