The two week break is over, but it was good while it lasted. I returned to Wellington a few days ago, completely exhausted, worn ragged, and in need of a few hours of sleep in a real bed.
For the past week, I have been roughing it in Nelson Lakes National Park with my biology class. The landscape there was amazing, and we learned so much about the geographical, geological, and biological aspects that shaped the area. In other words, we learned all about glaciers! A lot of the information was new to me, which I enjoyed, but I was most interested in the plant and soil ID workshops. I did not, however, enjoy the stream ecology session that required us to stand in freezing cold stream water catching bugs! The class was really great in integrating so many aspects of ecology, and Nelson Lakes National Park was a perfect place for the hands-on work we did.
We also were introduced to many different sampling methods and instruments used in the field, from working in the stream, deep in the soil, or at the top of a mountain. Bugs, plants, dirt, water, rocks, trees, wind, nutrients. So cool! The professors and teaching assistants that directed the session were all very knowledgable about their respective subjects. We all worked really hard from bright and early in the morning all they way until dark, to the point that were were too tired to stay awake past dinner. It's a very satisfying feeling.
The last fews days of the class were dedicated to individual research projects. Everyone split up into small groups and embarked on a project of their choice. I was keen to study soil profiles on glacial moraines. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any other dirt nerds to join me, so I got stuck with a group studying parasitic wasps... thrilling. It turned out to be a really interesting project, and my group members are a trip and kept things interesting. Now that we have collected all of our data, and are back home in Wellington, it is up to us to put together a paper by the end of the semseter. I have a feeling that life at Uni is about to get really really busy! There are 6 more weeks of class, and then 3 weeks of exams until the semseter is officiall over.
My last note goes out to all of my loved ones back home affected by the shootings at Virginia Tech. I learned of it when I was stuck in the middle of the woods, without internet and hardly and cell service. There was an article about Tech on the front page of the newspaper in Nelson. Hearing the news about something so tragic at a place so close to home made me realize how far away I really am. Now that I am back in Wellington, I have been reading up on the news and keeping in touch with my friends from home. I really miss you guys, and I'm glad you're safe.
I'll end it there. Hope everyone is enjoying the coming of spring, as we are just getting into winter here in the southern hemisphere. Time is flying by, and this whole amazing experience will be over before I know it.
pictured below: class in session
1 comment:
doesn't look like a bad place to have class...not bad at all.
Post a Comment