Monday, March 26, 2007

Life In Wellington


Hello everyone! It’s been a pretty busy few weeks as school is getting into gear, but things are running smoothly here in Wellington. I’m already into my fifth week of classes at the university, and I’m feeling quite established here. I can now navigate the city comfortably, order a cup of coffee correctly, and even gave in to the skinny-jean fashion. I’m a regular kiwi!

School is going really great. I’ve been collecting data for the past two weekends with my ecology research group. We tramp around the bush looking for spider webs, and I’m learning a lot from them about native plants and birds. Doing this sort of field research, I’m very glad that there are no snakes or poisonous plants here. There is not much outside work required for my classes, but I’ve been reading a lot in my textbooks about New Zealand’s natural history, reinforcing what an incredible country this is.

I’ve been having lunch with Rachel, the president of the university’s environmental club. We sit in the grass between classes swapping stories and comparing the political systems of our countries. The club has been working on critiquing Parliament’s climate change policies. Every bill that is presented to New Zealand’s government is subject to public opinion before it may be passed. Go figure! I’ve gotten to meet some of the Greenpeace representatives that are stationed in Wellington and Aukland, and have learned a lot about the environmental issues that New Zealand is facing. Climate change is a very relevant topic in all of the media here. But don’t worry, no activism for me. I’ve got to keep a clean record so I can come back in the future!

During the week, when I’m not on campus, I’m usually found at my friend Brianna’s flat around the corner, picking up groceries at the New World, window shopping on Cuba Street, or reading on the beach. The weekends are anyone’s guess. There is so much to do in Wellington, and taking a trip out of town opens the doors to so many other worlds. So many things are still on my list. I’ve been planning travel plans for Easter Break, which is rapidly approaching and a rude awakening that the trimester is half over. Although I’ve settled in pretty well here, there is still so much to look forward to.

Things I love (so far) about Wellington:
Walking barefoot to town (class, bus stops, bars, etc. )
$7 kebabs on Cuba Street
$5 kayaks/climbing gear
$3 pints on Wednesdays (student special)
Sunday Farmers Market
Everywhere is a hike (can be a love/hate relationship)
The Salient (uni’s student magazine)
Gellato by the harbor
Street performers (namely the Maori beatboxer)
Always finding something new at the Botanical Gardens
Days when the wind doesn’t blow me into traffic
Small enough that I see people I know when I’m walking down the street
Big enough that there’s always something new to do

pictured below: 1. tuatara, a mini dinosaur 2. my classmates Ashlie and Reuben mesuring research quadrants at Karori Wildlife Sanctuary 3. my mates Chrissy and Brianna


No comments: